Saturday, July 22, 2017

Why I practice as a solitary witch


Along the Historic Columbia River Highway in Oregon (picture by me)

Hello, readers! I wanted to write a bit about my practice; specifically, why I practice as a solitary witch. In my admittedly biased opinion, there are many benefits to a solitary practice but I can definitely see some potential drawbacks as well.

I am first and foremost an introvert. I don’t like being around people most of the time and I prefer to just do my own thing at home and hang out with my husband and cats (AKA Small Furry Overlords). Being social is very draining on my energy reserves and I need to recharge after “people-ing.” Doing my craft by myself allows me to really get in touch with myself with fewer distractions and lets my brain more easily sink into the right frame of mind that I need to perform my spellwork.

Another reason I prefer solitary practice is that I can do my witchcraft the way that I want to. My spells and workings are highly customized for my needs and preferences. I either heavily modify existing spells or entirely write my own. Additionally, I think my practice is a bit unusual in that I approach it more from a psychological angle instead of invoking or calling upon supernatural forces. Being solitary also allows me to do my witchcraft on my own schedule – no need for coordinating with others.

My practice is also very eclectic – as an atheistic elemental witch, I might have trouble finding someone else whose practice and beliefs are able to work with mine! However, if I did find other people I wanted to do magick with, I would definitely be open to working with them to come up with a method that everyone would be happy with.

There aren’t a lot of covens in my area and I don’t think there are many pagans either, though there are probably more out there than the ones I know about! As far as local covens, there are 2-3 that I know of and they are very secretive. I live in a fairly religiously and politically conservative area, so I understand the need for secrecy and blending in. I know one of the local covens is Wiccan, so that would not be an option for me. I don’t know about the others.

I don’t know the details of how local covens practice their craft, but from what I have read and seen I get the impression that Wiccan covens can be highly ritualized and very ceremonial and formal. I don’t feel that that type of witchcraft really jives with my personality. I tend to be more comfortable with down-to-earth workings.

I listen to the Hex Rated podcast, and I really like their concept of an “un-coven.” Basically, the four of them get together and discuss/trade ideas, eat food, and maybe do some very informal and on-the-spot magick. One of them (I can’t remember which) even mentioned that much of their group workings are made up as they go along. I admire that spontaneity! I wouldn’t be able to pull that off; I need a plan before I do anything! But I would love to be part of a small, informal witchy discussion/idea sharing group. I do belong to a few online communities, but I think there’s something to be said for in-person interactions as well.

Some Drawbacks

Even though I personally prefer to practice my witchcraft as a solitary witch, I can see the potential for some drawbacks to this style of practice:
  • Someone who is more extroverted than me might prefer to work magick with other people.
  • Someone new to witchcraft who joins a coven may be more likely to get in-person training and teaching from a more experienced practitioner. This may be very beneficial for those whose learning styles may need a more guided or mentored path.
  • Doing magickal workings in a group or in a more formal style might resonate more with some people, so their personal preferences might be more in line with practicing in a coven.
  • If doing a spell on a large scale, more people may be needed in order to raise enough energy.
These are all considerations one will have to think about when starting their path or if presented with an opportunity to join a coven. I think either way is valid as long as it works for you!

I’d love to hear your thoughts, feel free to drop me a comment!

Thanks for reading!
Blessed Be,
<3 Aranea

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Very First Spell

Let's take a trip down memory lane... The year was 1998, and it was the summer before my senior year of high school. I was learning ab...